Child Support FAQs

Child Support in Texas FAQs

Marivonne Essex would like to answer all of your questions concerning child support laws in Texas. If you don’t see a question listed below, please contact the Essex Law Firm.



  1. What is the law concerning modification of child support in Texas?Grounds for modification are a material and substantial change in the circumstances of a child or a person affected by the order OR the passage of three years since the last child support order and a difference in monthly payment by either 20 percent or $100 from the child support guidelines.
  2. What is the law concerning back child support in Texas?If a noncustodial parent does not pay child support, he or she is subject to enforcement measures to collect regular and past-due payments. Enforcement can result in jail time or payment arrangements or one or several other forms of enforcing the court order. There is also a statutory 6% interest for past-due child support.
  3. What is the maximum child support in Texas?The maximum child support is calculated based on $7500 per month NET income (which is about $10,500-$11,000 GROSS income), and is $1500 for one child and $1875 for two children.
  4. How do you calculate child support in Texas?It is calculated based on a formula which takes a person’s GROSS income, subtracts certain items which are deductible for child support purposes, and the result is a person’s NET income for child support purposes. The child support is 20% of the NET income for child support purposes for one child, 25% for two. It is necessary to use the Attorney General chart each year to calculate the child support.
  5. What are the general child support laws in Texas?
    • Child support is based on a formula (see above).
    • The formula is used by all the judges in Texas.
    • It can be varied from but rarely is.
    • Once a court order is entered for child support, wage withholding is mandatory.
    • All payments are required to be made through the Child Support Disbursement Unit in San Antonio. There should NOT be any direct payments to the custodial parent.